Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Choosing Gratitude

I am reading a book called Choosing Gratitude and it has me thinking and evaluating my ungrateful heart. The bible instructs us over and over to give praise to God and to be grateful in all things, but I am just beginning to wrap my head around how crucial this is.

God has brought eternal life through Jesus; this alone should make our hearts joyful, grateful, shocked, etc…but He goes on to offer JOY in the midst of our worldly life…one that isn’t dependent on our circumstances. As if the gift of eternal life isn’t enough, we are quick to think that we deserve more. By doing this, our hearts are not grateful toward our Savior and we rob ourselves of the joy that He wants for us.

“…gratitude truly is my life preserver. Even in the most turbulent waters, choosing gratitude rescues me from myself and my runaway emotions. It buoys me on the grace of God and keeps me from drowning...” –Nancy Leigh DeMoss (Choosing Gratitude)

Can I get an amen on the “runaway emotions” part? I know that I’m a girl, but human emotions in general can take us on a rollercoaster of a ride if we let them steer. A grateful heart helps us focus on how amazing God is, then our faith is increased, and nothing in this world can stomp the eternal security that He offers.

Things I’m grateful for

  • God isn’t a far-away King instructing me from a throne; He is my living Savior that deeply cares for me and promises to never forsake me. (Hebrews 4:15)

  • God’s love for me isn’t dependent on how well I stick to the rules. He has given me the desire to obey Him as a response to how awesome He is. (Romans 6:11-14)  

  • Jesus is bigger/greater than __________ (insert your worst fear/circumstance) (John 16:33)

  • Cancer stinks, but God used it to bring my family closer to Him. God uses suffering and He works through it. (Romans 5)

  • If I wake up tomorrow and everything in my life goes terribly until I die-I still get Jesus….BAM! (Hebrews 13:15)

Writing this is so good for me because I truly stink at resting in the truth that God is enough. God is more than enough.

“Choosing gratitude is a choice that requires constantly renewing my mind with the truth of God’s Word, setting my heart to savor God and His gifts, and disciplining my tongue to speak words that reflect His goodness and grace-until a grateful spirit becomes my reflexive response to all of life.” 
–Nancy Leigh DeMoss (Choosing Gratitude)














Written by Margaret Curtis of Alpha Delta Pi 





Additional Resources 
***Sharing your faith can be an incredibly joyous, freeing, amazing experience but it can also be a little awkward, scary, and unnerving experience as well, especially if we are talking to our family.  Crossway Books has provided a free version of Bringing The Gospel Home by Randy Newman and has some great points and insights that can help us along our journey of sharing Jesus with the people we love most. (Follow the link and check it out!)   


No comments:

Post a Comment